Live lionfish spine removal demonstrations and safety handling tips, recipes and more.
The 3rd annual SOS Ocean Conservation Day is a free, one day, outdoor event not only fun, but an educational program for the entire family that will help bring awareness to our ocean and the efforts to preserve and protect our living coral reef ecosystems.
This year we are excited to announce that we will be partnering with the Winterfest Boat Parade Family Fun Day, 10am to 3pm, Huizenga Plaza, 32 East Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL. Expected attendance of 7,000+.
The SOS Mission this year: "Youth Ocean Education"
Over 30 Ocean/Marine Conservation groups will join us to engage in outreach with the general public about issues that could be addressed on a local level - which we so desperately need: CORALS - MANATEES - LIONFISH - BEACH/OCEAN DEBRIS - SHARKS - SEA TURTLES - MANTA RAYS - WHALES -LOBSTERING - WATER QUALITY - WILDLIFE RESCUE - FISHING REGULATIONS - OCEAN SAFETY and more.
Outreach for guests :
• Shark4Kids - Interactive area to experience a 3D Virtual Shark Dive inside a shark cage
• Puckerup! Kiss-A-Shark Photo Booth with Stoked On Salt
• Free Reef Safe Sun Reusable Tote Bag for outreach and educational materials as guests visit table-to-table and learn more about the importance of our Florida Coral Reefs and Sea Life
• Force E Scuba Centers Live Lionfish Safety Demonstrations by Charley Schram
• Cast a fishing line into the water while learning more on fishing safety and regulations IGFA
• Free Sea Turtle Oversight Protection tattoos
• Local Ocean Artists, Photography and Debris Sculptures
• Kids Fun and Arts & Crafts
• Educational hands-on fun under each tent
• Live Mermaids and Pirate
• Free eco-friendly, biodegradable give-aways... and more!
We encourage all event goers to bring their own ocean-friendly drinkware to help continue the ongoing mission to Ban Plastic in our community.